Saturday, March 21, 2015

Warhol inspired icon prints


Meanwhile in the afternoon last week, I ran a camp for pre-teens and teens.  The focus was on people they admired.  This was a two hour camp and although I had a couple of projects a day planned out, I did not anticipate how focused they would become and this project alone ended up spanning over two days.

I presented works done by Andy Warhol since he has many artworks focused on popular icons of his time. Also there is a very large exhibit of his work currently on display here in Yaletown that I thought the students might like to explore once the project was complete.


They spent the first day working out the graphic portrait and then carving it into the block.  Once finished,  they created a variety of prints based off the work of Andy Warhol.

The first artist is 11 years old and worked on a portrait of Adele. She was quite excited when it came time to printing and explored a lot of different options.

11 year old

Above is one of the proofs she created while trying to decide how much more she needed to carve away.


She then began to create a multiple image based off some of the works presented on Warhol. She enjoyed playing with the inks and creating different looks for this work.


She then did a work off register with two different colors. She really liked this effect!


She enjoyed it so much, she then decided to really play with the off register and created the above work.

The other artist in the class is very methodical and spent a lot of time doing some intricate carving. She focused on someone I had never heard of, which makes me feel very old, a young woman named Allison Harvard.



14 year old, Allison Harvard

Evidently Ms. Harvard likes pink, so this artist starting playing with pink backgrounds for her block.


The aesthetic of this pink was too pink and so the artist began to mix white ink into the pink to create something she felt represented this popular icon better.


I'm hoping to spend some more time working with the artist utilizing this printing block she created into more artwork....just as soon as I remember where I put it for safe keeping!  

That's right.  I have placed these two blocks in a safe place that even I can't remember, so this weekend, I will be turning the studio upside down looking for them.

I'm very lucky these two students are so patient with me, along with being so talented. I think both came up with some really great pieces with this project.
















No comments:

Post a Comment