Sunday, December 20, 2015

real life holiday drawing

Looking at some projects from Christmas past, here is a quick one put together at the end of a workshop where we finished the main project early.

I put together this quick little greenery arrangement with some cuttings from my backyard and bits and pieces I had collected from the thrift store.


I gave each child a set of oil pastels and told them to draw what they liked from the still life.

Maybe it was the entire arrangement, maybe it was a special item on the tree that fascinated them.

As the project progressed kids took items off the "tree", which is why you see some items scattered around the greenery in this picture.

I found it interesting what each child chose for subject matter and how they tackled this project. Although a quickly put together project, I loved the work in the end.

Once the kids had chosen what they wanted to draw, I took the opportunity to work with them on things like perspective, shading, and composition.

Just SIX MORE DAYS until I can start showing you some of the beautiful "top secret" projects that the elves students have been creating in the studio this holiday season.

I can hardly wait.

7 year old

10 year old

9 year old

9 year old

10 year old

6 year old




No comments:

Post a Comment