Tuesday, February 16, 2016

clay animals

I realized it had been awhile since I had done a clay project with the kids and so decided in some form or another, I would do clay with most of the classes.

So prepare for a lot of clay projects coming up as they kids complete them.

For the Wednesday class, a class full of little girls, I knew animals would be a big hit.

Each girl could create the animal of their choice.

They could give it any personality they wanted.

And what an adorable group of creatures they created!

I used an air dry clay because I'm still dreaming of that studio kiln....but I have finally settled on a clay I really like, that doesn't crack or break easily. I love the way it holds paint too and although it feels expensive when I buy it, in reality it goes a very long way and still falls within a reasonable budget that makes it feasible for large groups of children.

So the first week, the girls spent the hour and a half creating their clay animals. For those that finished a little early, I brought out some chalk pastels and had them draw their clay creatures.

6 year old

A few weeks ago, these young artist created doughnut paintings inspired by Wayne Thiebaud and one artist has been obsessed with doughnuts ever since. At the beginning of class when they draw whatever they want for warm up, she draws doughnuts and that carried over to her clay animal too. 

Her little bunny is holding a doughnut. In both the above pastel portrait and in clay.

6 year old

With sprinkles even! How cute is that one spotted eye also?

So as you can see, the following week when the clay was dry, the artist used high flow acrylic paint to add color and details to their works. The girls came into class so excited to paint. The only thing more exciting was the anticipation of taking the work home that night and several times they asked for reassurance they would indeed be dry enough to go home with them.

I can't blame them as I put them on the table to dry, they are all so precious!

Like this turtle created by one of the six year olds. She was painting pretty fast and I was looking for ways to not only slow her down but also add a bit more detail to her painting. I suggested adding some spots to the turtle.

She was quite indignant when she exclaimed, "Turtles don't have spots" as if I had just suggested she add a third eye to her piece. I took out a reference folder full of all types of turtles and showed her lots of spots and stripes that turtles sport.

She was still not convince and so sorry to the big man upstairs, but she was of the opinion spots and stripes were "weird". I couldn't help but chuckle and let her continue on with her spotless turtle.

6 year old

We had a couple of dog creations.

8 year old

The above artist was so proud of her dog that she created of her real life pet.

8 year old

Or her good friends' dog with a carefully painted blue collar.

8 year old

And how can you not be smitten with a bunny wearing a top hat? And I love the expression the artist carefully painted on the face. Obviously he's a little concerned someone is coming for that yummy carrot or is he admiring the doughnut of the other classroom bunny? Either way, this is just too cute.

6 year old

Another bunny and please take a moment to look at that smile. The artist worked SO HARD on it and painted it several times to get it "just right".

Then there is this sweet piece. Her mother had some surgery the day before we started the clay project and this weighed heavily on her heart. She was thinking of her mother the entire time she was creating the work, a cat holding a heart. She planned to write "get well soon" on the heart.

By the following week, her mother was doing better and the message changed a bit.

10 year old

What a lovely little present for her mother. I know this little cat will mean a lot to her.

And finally this elaborate animal from my class artist who I affectionately call "the caboose". She is quite thoughtful in her decisions. She is extremely detail oriented and likes to take her time when creating, something I always admire in her. 

10 year old

And if you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find your prince, if they are this cute, who cares? I love her color choices and the small detail of the flower she added.

And there you have it. As excited as each child was to take this project home that night, I would of loved to keep them for a week to admire. As you can imagine, the artist were having none of that suggestion when I made it.

I can't say I blame them. I'm sure each sweet sculpture has found a place of honor in their new homes to be enjoyed and loved for a long time to come.











No comments:

Post a Comment