Monday, March 7, 2016

Jasper Johns inspired Canadian flags

I periodically write an artist quote on the chalkboard wall in the studio for the kids to ponder. This past week, I picked one by Jasper Johns.

"Take an object. Do something to it. Do something else to it" -Jasper Johns

I pointed out the quote to the students and asked them what they thought that meant, then showed them several works created by Johns and pointed out how he built upon the pieces. My intention was to have them work on a project I had done a couple of years ago using the child's birthday and age, where they overlap the numbers and then use a different color at each line dissection to create an abstract piece.


But as we started the project wasn't resonating with the kids AT ALL and so I quickly changed course and suggested we use Jasper Johns, "Flag. 1966". A painting that sold for 28.6 million dollars in 2010.

Flag. 1966, Jasper Johns

Well since we are not living in the United States, I suggested we use this work to inspire some acrylic paintings of the Canadian flag. The kids were quite excited at the prospect and we got started. 


8 year old

First order of business, help each child become comfortable with drawing the maple leaf in the flag. I was quite surprised that each and everyone of them found this difficult. I hope that they walked out of class with a new set of skills that will make this quite easy in the future. 

7 year old

I had each student start with drawing a square in the middle of the paper and then adding three triangles off the square. From there they added two small triangles to each side of the large triangle and voila! they had the basis of a maple leaf!

Once each of them was happy with the sketch, they painted down a layer of red paint and then a combination of white and cream paint.

9 year old

Then using Jasper Johns' quote, I stated we needed to do something else to it so I gave each of them a palette knife and a bit of modeling paste and asked them to add that to the work. Then they once again added some paint on top of that where needed.

10 year old

Then we needed to do something else to it and so each child had a pencil that they could write into the work. I suggested the National Anthem, what they loved about being Canadian, or what they felt made their country great. 

10 year old

Then in the spirit of Jasper Johns they did one more round of "add something else" to their works with charcoal. When added to drying paint, it does some interesting and unexpected things. 

Then we called the works done. I think they were all quite surprised to see how interesting the works turned out just by continuing to "do something else" to the works like Jasper Johns suggested.

I think they were all quite happy to have an easier way to draw a maple leaf in the future.

And I think they all left the studio quite proud to be Canadian.








No comments:

Post a Comment