Friday, June 17, 2016

Real life drawing with teens

A while back I had a bouquet of flowers in the studio that were put to good use by the students.

I had purchased them for the Friday drawing class to use, but then they were also inspiring the 4/5 year old class with plaster paintings and the teen class later in the week.

I will always have a project to present to the teens, but after I share my idea, I also respect their thoughts and ideas on what they want to do during that class period. And what I heard loud and clear that night was they wanted to draw.

I love how each student tackled the project in front of them differently.

Once student ignored the floral arrangement and focused on a succulent I had in the room, using pen and ink with watercolor.



Another student at first thought she wanted to add watercolor but in the end stuck with only creating a graphite drawing. (which is why it is on watercolor paper) However knowing this student well, I believe she will probably continue to work on the piece at home and so it might by now actually have color on it.  Either way, the work stands on it's own as a drawing.


And finally the youngest student, not really a teen, but the class is a good fit for him and so he is here. What an amazing work for 11! He did the whole shebang! And captured the beauty of the bouquet in front of him using a water-soluble pencil and gouache.


It is amazing to me how the same project with the same group of students can create such different results if you give them freedom to be true to themselves. All three students still focused on practicing the same set of skills while creating artworks with their individual and unique perspectives.

I am proud of each and every one of them. 






No comments:

Post a Comment