Friday, September 9, 2016

Beth Krommes inspired scratchboard

I fell in love with the scratchboard illustrations created by Beth Krommes while researching children illustrators for the Storybook Wonders camp.

What I really loved about her technique was the fact that she creates copies of the scratchboard that she then goes in and hand colors.

This was my plan for the project I created with the kids during the camp. Each would create a scratchboard and then I would make copies of them overnight on card stock for them to hand color the next day.

Well, so much for plans.

We ran out of time on the last day of camp, but each child did create a stunning scratchboard.

5 year old


I'll retry this project again in full for a Halloween inspired project with the October after school elementary class, only three spots left if you want your child to join in the fun!!

If you want to know how I created the scratchboards, check out this post from the Ben Lim inspired art camp at Seymour Art Gallery The only thing I did differently this time was use three layers of spray gesso in white instead of painting it onto the boards. It saved significant time when it came to sanding.

7 year old


Each child created an illustration of their choice inspired by Beth Krommes artwork. We had spent time looking at "The House in the Night", each child observing the line work in her pictures. It is a beautifully illustrated book!



They created some lovely works of art and I would of loved to have seen how they introduced color if we had not run out of time.



They really enjoyed working on the boards and I think they found it extremely relaxing just to etch into the ink and gesso.

5 year old

Even the youngest of students created stunning works of art.

7 year old

These two birds were created by sisters. Wouldn't they look cute displayed together on a wall?

10 year old

The line work this 10 year old did is quite amazing. She actually took her enlarged copy home to hand color. I'm sure it looks amazing.

8 year old

I love all the personality each of these pieces contain. Like I said, the kids seemed to really take to scratchboard and got lost in the relaxing technique.

9 year old

Such a great way to emphasize the importance of line in a fun way to children. What marvelous works of art each of them created. 

And I can say I know Beth Krommes felt the same way because she sent a comment when posted on the studio's instagram account mentioning how impressed she was with the work. 

A fact I'm sure would make each and every child very proud.







No comments:

Post a Comment