Thursday, October 19, 2017

O'keeffe inspired acrylics

How could I do a camp themed on doing everything supersize and not utilize Georgia O'Keeffe for the acrylic project?

10 year old


We spent some time looking through a large book I have of all her flower paintings. We debriefed several of the artworks and the kids had a lot of insightful things to say.

6 year old

6 year old



Each child was given a large canvas to use for their creation and I cut flowers and leaves from my backyard for reference. For fun I gave each of them some white gesso with a palette knife and a piece of cardboard to experiment creating texture on their canvases before painting.

We did this at the end of the camp the day before so it had time to dry by the next morning.

7 year old


They had the option to focus on one leaf, one flower or several from the bunches I brought into the studio.

6 year old


They mixed all their own colors from a primary palette with black and white.

8 year old

Although it would be cool, I do not have carnivorous plants in my backyard. This child utilized the file cabinet full of reference for this painting. However the addition of the spider was all his own!


9 year old



Love how each child interpreted the project and the wide variety of flower paintings we had at the end.

9 year old

No comments:

Post a Comment