Friday, June 27, 2014

Modigliani Princesses


Opus Art Supplies, our local art store, is having a children's exhibit at the beginning of August.   For the month of July, you can go in and for a donation to Children's Hospital sign up and pick up a board to paint and return it by July 31st and pick it back up when the show ends.  I think this is a great experience for children to have the opportunity to participate in an art exhibit and so went in and signed out boards in each of their names.

For the first two girls, I introduced them to Amedeo Modigliani.  I asked them what they noticed about the work and of course, THE NECKS!, were the first thing they both remarked on together.  We went on to discuss other aspects of his work and then set off to work on creating their favorite fairy tale princess in Modigliani's style.

One picked Ariel and the other picked Rapunzel. 

They giggled as they started making long necks and in the end, neither of them could really embrace the extra length that Modigliani was famous for as they thought it made their subjects look like giraffes.

We used acrylic paints and I gave them each a black oil pastel to go back over with once the paint was dry.

I think both girls ended up with darling works and I hope they both decide to take them back to Opus for exhibition.  I know people would truly enjoy viewing them.


We giggled that Ariel's expression looks like her dad just told her she was on restriction from bringing home anymore 'thingamagigs'.  I think the artist nailed the "you've got to be kidding me" look, don't you?



And here is Rapunzel with a look that says, "seriously?  you want to climb my hair?"  She is definitely so over Prince Charming!

It was fun to have the kids explore creating a traditional Princess in an unusual painting style you usually don't associate with creating their portraits.  I think the girls had fun too and maybe next time will really go for those giraffe necks.  




No comments:

Post a Comment