Wednesday, June 25, 2014

When stars align or in this case, polka dotted birds

A while back, I introduced a mixed media project to the students at Kudzu Studio.  I like for them to see that they can use a variety of materials and mediums to create an artwork and that EVERYTHING is fair game when creating.

When one particular student was just about finished with all the under layers of her canvas, I asked her what she thought she might want to paint as her subject matter.

Without hesitation she said, "a polka dotted bird"

Why not?

I thought it sounded quite wonderful and when the artwork was complete, it was in fact, wonderful.


10 year old

I simply love this piece.  Isn't the shape of the bird awesome?!


Fast forward a week or two later and I introduced a bird sculpture piece based off a verse from a Dr. Seuss book.  (you can read more about it under the post Tizzled Topped Tufted Mazurkas).  And when she began to shape her work in clay, the artwork took on an uncanny resemblance to the picture she had created of the polka dotted bird.  So much so she actually remarked that it looked like her drawing.

Although I hadn't planned it, what a great idea to have a student take a drawing they completed and turn it into a 3 dimensional work!  And so I encouraged her to pursue the sculpture inspired by her original artwork she completed previously.

11yr old (she had a birthday between projects)

Not exactly the same, but a nice interpretation of the original painting. Her mom mentioned the two works are displayed together in the house.  Don't you know that just looks great?!

Although not planned on my part, what a great idea for future projects to have students create a painting first and then interpret it in clay.  I just love it when the stars align when I least expect it.

Or in this case, polka dotted birds.




No comments:

Post a Comment