Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Selfie Camp Day One

This week I am teaching eleven children between the ages of six and ten years old at a summer camp through North Vancouver Community Arts Council focused solely on self portraits.

The selfie.

I have been looking so forward to sharing the projects I organized with this class and so far it has not disappointed.  The first day, we just went over the "rules of the face" and created a traditional portrait in acrylic paint.

The results were beautiful and unique to the personality of each child.  I love each and every one of them.

First the brother and sister, I think you can tell they are related even in the artwork and both created a very accurate likeness of themselves.

10 year old

8 year old

Here's another brother and sister and again, I think the parents are going to be very impressed.

8 year old

6 year old

Then there is the gaggle of girls who go to school together and are sweet, little friends.  Each and every one of them are eat 'em up darling.

6 year old

You'll be seeing lots of that flower headband in upcoming projects and I love the "wild beast" colors she embraced for her skin tone. And that jacket!!  I can't believe she took such a challenge on in the first project.

6 year old


6 year old


This girl did the most amazing job on her self portrait.  Not only has she capture her likeness, but also her personality which is serene and confident. And more than once I have seen this expression as I suggest something she thinks just might be a wee bit nuts.

10 year old

And this young girl did such a great job.  She is as fun loving and carefree as her portrait suggests.

7 year old

And last but not least, this gregarious girl who works so hard in class and has lots of stories to share with everyone!

7 year old

I can't wait to share the other projects we are working on too.  At the end of the week, we will have finished the clay bust they made out of air dry clay on the first day too.  They are absolutely amazing and I wish they would dry faster so I could see what they do with them next and share them with you.


Luckily, I have several more great projects they have done waiting to share to hold me over until then.








2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, jeri sue. these are so beautiful. you are a gifted and amazing teacher. I love the projects, and all your thoughtful narrative. love. love.

    ReplyDelete