Saturday, January 24, 2015

charcoal drawing


 I first met this student when she volunteered as an assistant with me for a camp through the North Vancouver Community Arts Council. With 12 students ranging in age from 5 to 11, it was a very busy week and I was so appreciative to not only have her there but also for all the hard work she put in to make sure the week was very successful. Toward the end of the week, I noticed her sketching with her pencil this amazing skeletal piece and realized she was quite a talented artist.

I had planned to get her a Starbucks card as a way to say thank you (since she is not paid) but instead invited her to spend a month in one of the classes at my home studio instead. I am happy to say she has stayed ever since.

Since she began, I have wanted her to really explore that pencil sketch I saw her do so long ago and finally with charcoal, she did just that! I find myself drawn to this work, just like I was to that rough sketch back in the summer. There is just something so fascinating and beautiful about this sketch. I know it would be framed if it were to be in my house.

I particularly like that she left bits of it unfinished.

One day I think it would be quite interesting to see her do a body of work exploring this subject but for now, I'll leave you to just enjoy this one.

14 year old, wolf skeleton

No comments:

Post a Comment