Monday, January 26, 2015

Plaster Paintings

Yesterday I taught a morning class through North Vancouver Arts Council for their second session of Young Creative ARTeliers and I introduced the students to plaster painting.

I have had great success with this project in the past and yesterday was no different.

Working on plaster is very different than working on paper and the kids seem to find it fascinating.  No matter how much I try to get the surface completely smooth, there are always a few bumps and crevices the students have to contend with on the work and that makes everything much more interesting.

Yesterday I used tempera pots for paint. I also gave them thumbtacks at the end that they could use to scratch into the plaster if they chose. I brought along reference material for some landscapes, dogs and cats.  Before starting I showed them how with plaster you could paint an entirely new picture over an old one, so mistakes were not something they needed to worry about at all.

And then the students began working on copy paper to work out their drawings and once they were happy, we transferred their work onto the plaster.

A few of the students had time to even complete a second picture using the same working sketch.  I had them try the tempera paint on paper the second time so they could judge just how different the medium worked on different substrates.  What is even more interesting is that they could see first hand the benefit of holding on to their working sketches to create more than one work of art and just how different they could manipulate the sketch in a final work.

I thought the results were completely charming and once again I find myself smitten with each and every piece.

10 year old, "working like a dog"
tempera on plaster

10 year old, "working dog takes a vacation"
tempera on paper

How cute is the dog buried in the sand?! I loved this idea.  Same sketch but two very different results.

9 year old, "cat with log"
tempera on plaster

This student came to me with her finished working sketch and it was so small.  I asked her if she wanted to consider making her drawing bigger and she said, "No.  I want it at the bottom of the picture."  I was quite interested to see what she would do with all the space and I think the clouds are perfect.  I love this composition.

9 year old, "managerial dog"
tempera on plaster

9 year old, "dog on beach"
tempera on paper

At first I thought this plaster dog was graduating university, but when I asked him to tell me about his painting he explained the dog was wearing a hat and that the "$" symbol showed the dog had a "managerial job".  This made me smile and my heart might of melted just a little.  He put a full shirt and tie on his dog too. In the morning while we were waiting for everyone to arrive, he had been sketching palm trees and it was fun to see him then incorporate those trees into his paper painting. I love the way he used brush strokes to indicate the ocean too.

9 year old, "peaceful pug"
tempera on plaster

The pug is definitely zen.  She's got her love beads on both front legs and for a collar.  I love all the design work she added by scratching into the plaster once she finished her painting.  I think she got great results with the technique she created to add the black ears and nose. I know all my pug loving friends are going enjoy seeing this artwork.

9 year old, "stretching cat"
tempera on plaster

This is a great example on how you can continue to add color over a finished painting when you are not completely satisfied.  The artist finished this work and the hind leg was not over the log.  In hindsight, she wanted to see that leg and because you cannot erase on plaster AT ALL, she thought it was too late to do it.  I told her she could just paint the leg over the log and that it would be fine.  You would never know at first there was no hind leg on the finished piece. 

And last but not least, the youngest and by far the most timid student in the class. When he first arrived, he would not draw at all he was so shy.  To encourage him, we drew side by side so I could show him how if he broke things down first into shape that he was capable of drawing anything.  I'm not sure he believed me until after he finished his sketch of a wolf, but then he was so excited with what he had done, I didn't have to worry about him the rest of the class as he was off to the races.

6 year old, "dream wolf"
tempera on plaster

He had fun scratching in the stars with the thumbtack and I love all the under layers on this work. I don't think there was one color pot he did not use on his wolf but it all came together when he put a layer of the orange on top of it.  He had a lot of fun slamming the plaster on the floor to add cracks and chips too.

6 year old, "jungle wolf"
tempera on paper

All the students had a chance at the end to throw their works on the ground.  This cracks and chips the art so it looks like the old frescoes we see from the past.  The students are all quite fascinated that it stays together on the burlap and there is always lots of questions on how that is possible.  Some students chose to slam their work on the countertop and on the floor and others didn't want to do it at all.  However even the ones who decided to bypass this step, still had lots of fun watching everyone else slam and throw their work around. There is never a lack of giggles during this part of the process.

Two hours went by quickly and the kids were all very excited to show their parents what they had created at pick up.  I can think of no better way to start a weekend morning and was so proud of each and every one of these children.








No comments:

Post a Comment