Thursday, February 12, 2015

Bas-Relief clay tiles

I realize I forgot to post the finished clay work I hinted at a few post back.

Once the clay was dry, I applied some gesso and then the students painted them with acrylic.

No easy task with all the nooks and crannies!

It was a great skill lesson on learning to control a paint brush in small, confined areas.

Once finished and dried, I applied a high gloss varnish to protect the work and also give it the look of being fired and glazed.

10 year old

Love this baby duck taking a swim.  I think the student did such a great job putting different textures into the clay to create interest.

12 year old

I have an etching a friend did for me in the studio washroom of a coral reef.  This particular student LOVES it and from time to time uses it for inspiration for a project.  A project like this one!  I was completely surprised when she said she wanted to finish her clay in all grey.  I completely assumed she would do a colorful coral reef and I think that must of shown on my face because she immediately explained that she wanted it to "look like the picture in the washroom".  What an interesting choice and I love her final results.  I can't wait to send it to my friend as I know she will get a kick out of how a student interpreted her etching.

I really love all the skills this project touched on while the kids had a great time creating and could not recommend trying something like this at home.   

If you would like the instructions, send me a note and I'll be happy to share.

On another note, the Spring Break camps are beginning to fill up!  If you are interested in having your child join me for some fun, make sure you contact me through the website at Kudzustudio.com.




No comments:

Post a Comment