Friday, February 13, 2015

brought to you by the girl of the year

Like many nine year olds, I have a student who loves American Girl dolls.  A couple of weeks ago she asked me if I could help her make a romper for her newest doll that her father surprised her with and I had to sadly say no because my sewing skills are less than stellar when it comes to making clothing.

I did let her know that I could help her make something either with wet felt or with needle felting and she settled on making a rug for her American Girls' house.

(her dad deserves the title of "Father of the Year" because he has also turned part of her closet into what sounds like a lovely apartment for her dolls)

So after hearing all about the Girl of the Year doll, Grace who I believe lives in Paris, the new doll her father bought because he thought it was particularly special since the student had also been to Paris, we got to work on a new rug to put in front of her bed.

And since Grace is all about Paris, she decided to do the Eiffel Tower in a style inspired by Monet.

Using a piece of wool felt in light blue, she picked through my large supply of roving and created a lovely rug for her doll.

I'm sure Grace will love it!

And so without further ado, here is a lovely work brought to you by a nine year old artist and her beloved girl of the year, Grace.

9 year old, needled felt



No comments:

Post a Comment