Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Channeling the Wild Beast Within

I have a new student who has joined the weekly classes after participating in the Art and Animal spring break camp.

I decided that since he had just completed a week worth of animal drawings, I would introduce him to a landscape project.

But knowing how much he loves animals, I decided we would do the landscape in "wild beast" colors.

In other words, I introduced him to the Fauvist movement.

He pulled out a few pieces of landscape reference and I went over how he could pick and choose what elements he wanted to add to his work.

Then we went over how he could break down the reference into interesting shapes.

Then he got to work.

First he created a composition using shapes on copy paper and when he was happy, we transferred it onto his final paper.

Then starting with the background, he began choosing wild beast colors.  Red clouds, orange mountains, yellow skies, green water and blue trees, he was right into channeling his inner beast.

When finished, he went over the work with a black and a blue oil pastel just to clean up the lines.

But the best part of the work?

Look how he dated the piece!!

"made in 2015"

It put a smile on my face and warmed my heart.

And I wasn't the only one smiling, he seemed very happy too after an hour of fun channeling his inner wild beast.



acrylic on paper, 6 year old

No comments:

Post a Comment