Thursday, April 30, 2015

A flower for his mama

One of my six year old students came to the studio and announced he needed to paint a flower for his mother.

I suggested we do the flower in chalk pastel, but he was firm in his opinion that it needed to be paint.

So I pulled down a large art book on Georgia O'Keeffe's 100 flowers and we looked at quite a bit of her work for inspiration.

He decided on painting a pink rose that he felt looked like a tulip.

I used the project to work on his brush strokes and learning to pay attention to the darks and lights of his reference.

He worked so hard and was so proud of his creation that when it came time to photograph the work, he was quite convinced that he needed to be in the picture too.

I explained to him that for safety reasons I never put any of my student's faces on the internet. He mulled that over for a moment and then came up with this solution.

acrylic on canvas, 6 year old

As far as he was concerned, problem solved.

I'm pretty sure no one will be able to identify him by his fingers either and so I agreed to the compromise.

Here is the picture of a very proud little six year old boy holding a painting of a flower for his mama.

What a lovely early Mother's Day present.

No comments:

Post a Comment