Friday, November 13, 2015

Degas inspired drawings

I have a thirteen year old student who is a very gifted artist. Over the past year she has created some beautiful pieces of art that I have posted on my blog.

Here's a couple of them here and here.

So painting and creating, she does some wonderful things. Where she gets frustrated is with the drawing and so together we discussed what she would really like to get out of her time with me and decided to focus on drawing.

For now, we are focusing on the human body and face.  The plan is we will spend some classes working on sketching, learning basic rules of the body, and just generally getting comfortable with drawing, shading, and getting things in the right place.

So this week, we spent the hour and a half looking at Degas's sketches of ballerinas and then pulling some reference I had of ballerinas and getting comfortable with drawing.

I put out some Conte crayons that all the kids really seem to enjoy and pastel paper. I encouraged her to focus on the darks and lights on the body, keeping her sketching lines light as she checked and double checked her measurements as she went along.

Where does the elbow hit in relation to the eye?

Does the head overlap the arm?

How much distance is there really between the arm and the head?

It wasn't easy.  It shouldn't of been easy, that's what learning is about. I assured her the more she practiced, the easier it would come and that these drawings were studies and when she felt comfortable we would do a more detailed work in the form of a painting.

By the end of the class, she was quite proud of what she had accomplished.  I was very proud of what she had accomplished because by no means did she pick an easy reference to use!

I think she made amazing progress throughout the night, don't you agree?

13 year old,  sketching study





No comments:

Post a Comment