Monday, November 16, 2015

Simple printmaking for holiday cards

Sunday morning I did a workshop for North Vancouver Community Arts Council called Holiday Cardmaking.

I had five children in the class and they each created a series of cards to give to loved ones over the holidays.


Each student first created a pencil drawing on copy paper. 



When they were happy with their drawing, I taped down a square of styrofoam to the table (from a styrofoam plate pack I bought at the grocery store), and then taped the top of the drawing on top of the styrofoam. You don't need to tape the entire thing down, just the top of each piece.

Each girl then traced over her drawing with a dull pencil.

Before pulling the tape off, we made sure they had traced all their lines.  By having the tape there, you do not have to worry about matching up the picture if they need to do more work. Trust me, this saves lots of headache and tears later on.

Once they take the drawing off, I remove all the tape and ask them to go over their lines on the styrofoam once more to make sure they are deep BUT stress to them NOT to go all the way through the foam.



Then time for printmaking!

For this project the kids had three color choices, red, blue, and black. This decision was dictated by the number of brayers that were on hand.  I used palette paper for the inks since I was needing to get out quickly at the end of class to make my youngest daughter's initiation celebration into her sorority.

Clean up is easy when you just have to throw something away!

If you do not have access to block ink and brayers, stamp pads or paint will work just as well. Just make sure to put the paint on lightly so it does not go into all the line work.

The girls all did several prints on paper prior to starting their cards to help them get the hang of how much ink to use and how much pressure to place when pressing the plate onto the paper.

I had some clean brayers for them to use for rolling over the paper and foam, but the back of a spoon rubbed on the paper or even a wooden rolling pin would do the same thing.

skiing fun, 7 year old

When the students were comfortable, they got to work on their cards. They had a good time creating them and all made sure to share with me a favorite print when pulled. 

8 year old

giraffe hanging the tree star, 9 year old

They were quite proud of themselves when they finished and had a line of cards drying to take home. It was very impressive.

candy cane giraffe, 9 year old

We had about twenty minutes left in the two hour class, so I got out what has become the most popular art item in my repertoire, the old fashion ink pen. Gracious sake alive, these pens are getting quite the workout lately in my projects!


With a bit of india ink, each girl practiced some calligraphy and then got to work adding a holiday message inside their cards.


This seven year old is writing her messages in Czech. I know, pretty amazing right?

And with the realization that people on this earth for a whopping seven years are smarter than me, class ended. I'm sure whoever is lucky enough to receive one of these cards will cherish it for a long time.

I'll certainly look back fondly on the class and their sweet creations as time marches on.

















No comments:

Post a Comment