Saturday, May 28, 2016

"Flowers for Mother" a monoprint zine

I'm going backwards here a bit.

This zine was created by a student in the teen class the week leading up to Mother's Day.

It was a gift to her mother.

She created the zine itself using a folding method. Creating Nature has a great tutorial if you want to try one yourself.

For this project, I brought out some very early 1900's postcards I have collected for reference. Many of them have lovely illustrations of flowers on them which was the inspiration for her zine.

Hasn't she created a beautiful color palette too?
Using the gelatin plate, she created a series of floral monoprints for her mother.

zine cover, "Flowers for Mother", 13 year old

For this project I had her sue Golden Open Acrylics, just the primary colors along with white. The artist had to work fast but the Open Acrylics gave her a bit more time as they do not dry as quickly.

I love the title of her zine. Although I don't think she calls her mom, 'mother', it seemed appropriate given the old fashion nature of the zine. She chose to write the title in a soft graphite so it could be smudged a bit.

zine page one

It was a joy to watch her as she created this zine. As each print was pulled, she got more and more excited by the work.

zine page two

There were several, "Oh, I really like this one" as she made her prints. 

zine page three

I have to agree. It is hard to pick a favorite from the beautiful floral prints created. I truly love the soft color palette she created. LOVE!

back cover, "a book of monprints, Mother's Day 2016"

I sure hope her mother enjoyed the gift as much as her daughter did making it for her. She was just so pleased at the end when the zine was finished. 

What a lovely little gift she created to give to her mother.





No comments:

Post a Comment