Monday, August 8, 2016

graphite and ink birds

One of the projects I did with the kids in the Birds of a Feather camp was a "build upon" project using graphite and india ink.

I had each child start with a bird of their choosing. It seemed that tropical birds were a very popular choice with everyone.

7 year old

Each child started this drawing by creating a continuous line blind contour in pencil. I encouraged them to draw "so big" they drew off the paper and onto the table. The idea that it is OK to draw on the table is as great a lure to draw big as those Pokemon things are to get kids away from their computers and outside walking.

They were all concerned with their "weird" drawings when finished and were begging for erasers, but I assured them that by the time the project was finished those lines would disappear. 

I then handed each child a very fat water soluble graphite and told them to redraw their bird using the contour drawing and change whatever they wanted so the bird pleased them.

5 year old

The kids did not realize these graphites were water soluble so were quite confused when I put out a jug of water and handed them a paintbrush. 

8 year old

I told each child to go over their lines with a wet brush. As their pencil lines began to become "paint", the kids got very excited. 

They got even more excited when they suddenly realized why I had taped their watercolor paper to cardboard when I asked them to pick up and bang their pictures on the table to make the "ink" drip and move on the paper.

My ears weren't nearly as excited as the kids as the noise level in the studio increased to ear piercing decibels.

7 year old

Then while the paper was wet, I had them continue to use the fat graphite pencils and go back into the drawing and add more lines. Then use the water again if they wanted. This part of the process was quite popular and took us to the end of class as the kids experimented and just enjoyed adding lines, adding water, and watching what happened. 

Some were "blooming" water on their paper, a technique they had learned using watercolor on a different project. Some were adding scratch marks, again a technique they learned in a watercolor project. But mostly they were just adding water and then lifting up the paper and banging it on the table because what kids doesn't find that fun?

At this point, parents arrived for pick up and I was left in the studio with artwork containing lots of great value tones and ringing ears.

7 year old

(Yes the above three artist all used the same reference photograph and no, I have not by accident turned the their picture sideways.  When the artist finished, she made a point of telling me this was the way she wanted her work presented. I love that she was thinking the presentation of her final work through!)

When the kids arrived the next morning and their works were dry, I gave each child some india ink and a paint brush.

I think they were surprised to see that the water soluble graphite that looked so black when they added water had dried into a variety of grays.

6 year old

So with the india ink and a small brush, I told them to add whatever black they felt their artwork needed. At this time, I also told them to start paying attention to smaller details of their reference bird.

What shape would they interpret the feathers?

Is anything interesting happening around the eyes?

On the beaks?

7 year old

Then finally I gave them an old fashion ink pen and let them created one last layer in black with fine lines. Then for those who wanted it, I gave them a white oil pastel to add back some whites where they felt it was needed.

Then they signed their works and we were done. 

I think they came out spectacular.







No comments:

Post a Comment