Wednesday, January 25, 2017

mixed media bird sculpture

This past Friday there was a teacher work day at the schools so the kids had the day off. I decided to run a three hour morning workshop for twelve children where they were able to build their own mixed media bird sculptures.



Each child started off by cutting out two bird shapes out of watercolor paper. They each then folded a seventeen inch piece of floral wire in half, using masking tape, covered the wire and then stuck one end between the two pieces of paper and glued it all together.



Then holding onto the wire, they painted each side of the bird with acrylic paint.

While that was drying, they cut out wings and feathers and painted them too. Once everything was dry (students ate their snacks while waiting), they began to glue the pieces together.




Then I brought out a variety of different mediums for them to use and add to their birds. Ink, oil pastels, watercolors, charcoal, you name it, I think at one point during the day it was on the tables.



It was quite interesting to watch how each child used the materials and embraced the idea of process art instead of having a clear idea on the end product.




I had purchased some corks and a small piece of wood to create a stand for the birds. The kids painted both of these with watercolors. My thought was the wire would easily stick into the cork.




This was the only glitch in the day.

I could not penetrate the corks with the wire! I'm sure if the end of the day was not so near, I could of figured out a solution to get the wire stuck into the cork but with twelve children all unable to do it I had to think quickly to get the project complete.





So I brought out the glue gun and began to glue the wire on top of the cork. Thankfully in the end it worked.



The kids were all pleased at the end with their creations.


No comments:

Post a Comment