Thursday, January 12, 2017

silk painting on scarves and canvas

No Holiday Workshop week would be complete without the traditional painted silk scarves day for children to create wearable works of art for loved ones.

The kids love it. The families love it. And some lucky soul's name is on a priceless gift sitting under the tree.

IF the child can stand to wait that long to give the scarf to the new owner! I have gotten countless emails over the years from parents who not only thank me for giving their child the opportunity to create something so wonderful but also to let me know their child was so excited to give the gift they could not wait until the holiday rolled around.

And isn't that what the holiday season is all about? The wonders of giving rather than receiving? I am always thrilled to learn that this workshop played some small part in learning that valuable life lesson.

Children worked on these scarves right up until the end of the three hour workshop and all left with some marvelous works of art.


Again, I have to apologize for the pictures. I need a designated photographer to grab photos for me when doing workshops. I just always run out of time and am frantically shooting them as they walk out the door and hoping for the best.


There were of course, several versions of flowers created on the scarves. 


Along with seahorses, jelly fish and stars. This group covered from the bottom of the ocean to the heavens!


The below work was created by a five year old. Needless to say, she was exhausted at the end of three hours. She created quite a design to paint and announced at the end, "she probably would not be coming back". I love the honesty of children but do hope that she reconsiders. But more than anything, I hope once she got a nap under her belt and saw the reaction all her hard work garnered when the gift was open, she realizes it was worth it. I was very, very proud of her for completing something like this at her age. I fully expected a much simpler design from her and was so impressed to see her focus as long as she did on something of this size.


This scarf was so interesting to look at, the artist created a design that included every member of her family, along with every single color of dye and a variety of different images ranging from hearts, candy canes, flowers and stars. She simply began drawing freehand on the scarf and came up with the most interesting piece. It had an almost graffiti nature to it and was quite arresting when finished. I was quite excited as it was one of those moments as a teacher you get to enjoy observing a child completely lost in the joy of the process of creating art rather than worrying about the final product.



And right before the after school art classes broke for break, some of the students tried their hand at silk painting that I then applied to canvas for them.





Here are a few of the completed works. I love using the silk this way as they make beautiful framed pieces. Aren't these amazing?


I did this project with a couple of the classes and would love to present them all. Trust me when I say they were all equally as wonderful. 

I think if kids had their way, we would do a silk painted project once a month. It is always a very popular project with all age groups as they explore the unusual art form.






No comments:

Post a Comment