Tuesday, July 18, 2017

sketching and charcoal drawings while hiking through the woods

The second session of summer art camps was called, "Art and Nature".  The first day we spent the day in Lynn Canyon for almost three hours. This is always a fun but tiring day for the kids.

I created a sketchbook for each camper. It was a simple construction, copy paper folded in half with a piece of cardstock on top and stapled together. While hiking we stopped whenever something caught the children's eye and drew in the books.

look at the wind marks! it was breezy that day.

this camper took me up on the challenge of drawing in the shadows first

bird's eye view of river below as we crossed the bridge

For some of the younger campers I showed them how to take leaf rubbings, which of course, was absolutely thrilling and engaged each of them.



Although there is always a chance we could run into a black bear, I can assure you we did not run into any panda bears that day- no black bears either thank goodness.



We finally made our way down to the 30 foot pools in the canyon. This is a popular spot for those in our neighborhood, along with tourist who visit from around the world. I had prepared a cardboard easel for each camper with charcoal paper taped down on it. In my bag, I brought along a piece of charcoal, white charcoal, a blender and gummy eraser for each child.

After they finished sketching the pools in their books, we gathered in an area surrounded by ferns where we could set up to draw.






6 year old

First the campers rubbed the charcoal over the entire piece of paper and blended it in to create a tone value. They then erased the shapes out with the gummy eraser and added some white chalk into the highlights and blended. This created a value of light grey. From there they added dark or white charcoal, erased, and blended until they were satisfied with their drawings.




I have one boy who absolutely hates charcoal, so he worked with his pencil instead.


For the most part all the campers decided to draw just one leaf of the fern. However I had one camper who decided to take on the challenge of the entire plant.


I think he found a very interesting way to interpret the fern, don't you?

By the time we finished the charcoal drawings, we needed to pack up and head back to the studio. Tired, ready for snack, but happy each child washed up, ate, and happily drew in their sketchbooks until the parents arrived shortly after we got back.

The campers enjoyed the sketchbooks during the rest of the week, returning to them again and again when they finished projects to draw whatever they pleased. When photographing them for my records, I came across this drawing that made me laugh so hard I startled the dogs.


When talking about my own sketchbooks and how I always have one when I travel to record what I see, I showed some of my drawings. I am fascinated with tourist while traveling and our behaviors when visiting other countries. I jokingly told the kids that this could make me seem kind of creepy to others as I stare at them while drawing. 

One eight year old boy asked me if he could "be creepy" and draw me in his book. I was busy with some of the other campers in a project and told him in passing of course he was free to draw me. I didn't think about it again until I saw this picture.

Here I am! In all my glory, glasses on top of my head wearing my paint apron. That's a pencil and paper in my hand and we were at the end of the camp day when he asked to draw me, so maybe I'm quite tired explaining my closed eyes.

Or I'm looking down at a child's work while he was drawing, but I'm guessing I was in need of an espresso. I must say I love how long he drew my eyelashes! Wish they were that long in real life.

Needless to say, this drawing made my night. Actually it has made my summer! I love it. I smile every time I look at the drawing if I'm truthful.

What a great start to an exciting week of camp.






.









No comments:

Post a Comment