Saturday, August 16, 2014

Holton Rower inspired sculptures

So I have been dying to try a Holton Rower project ever since I have discovered his work.  His pour paintings are so engaging and when finished and hanging on the wall very beautiful.  There is just something so calming about watching the paint interact with each new pour put on the base.

Sculpture Week at North Vancouver Community Arts Council seemed like the perfect place to finally give a Holton Rower inspired project a whirl.

I had been holding on to some wood scraps and so put some gesso on the different pieces and took them into the studio.  Using wood glue, I had the kids place the pieces how they desired after we talked about how we would use gravity to paint the work.

Needless to say, this project was very popular.

The kids LOVED pouring paint on the work.

LOVED!!!

I think they would of done this for hours if I would of let them but then we would of had paint dripping down the sculpture to the table to the floor!  At first it was all about the pouring but once there were several layers on they were fascinated by what the paint was doing with each and every pour.

I had originally asked them to pick three to five colors to work with but as you can see that suggestion went out the window in their excitement.

I am so pleased with this project from beginning to end and the kids were too.

They took four days to dry in very warm temperatures.  I put a high gloss varnish on top once they were completely dry so that they would look like wet paint.  I had hoped to put a hanger on the back so the parents would put them on the walls, as I think this is the best way to display them, but just ran out of time.

There was a bit of cracking but nothing that I feel takes away from the work.  I certainly didn't have any paint falling off and I think it adds to the charm of the piece.

So without further ado....





2 comments:

  1. what type of paint did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used craft acrylic paint. I basically went through the clearance section at Michael's and bought anything that when I shook it seemed fluid.





    ReplyDelete