Monday, October 27, 2014

Halloween Matisse style




11 year old








In the Thursday evening high school class, I let the students choose their project ideas.  As they are discussing what they would like to do, I might suggest different mediums that they might not be aware of or have tried before, but for the most part, I am there as a facilitator for their ideas and visions.  I love working with this class because there is always such a wide variety of work being produced at any given time and it keeps me on my toes.

However when a student told me she wanted to do a Matisse style skull, I'm not going to lie, I was a little stumped.  I might of started to ask questions on how she envisioned creating such a piece as she put together words like "cheerful" and "skull", but  I handed her the acrylic paints and with interest began to watch what evolved on her paper.

And it was a really exciting process to watch.  I got involved helping another student who was working on a self portrait and looked over to suddenly see this student well on her way with her "Matisse style skull" and it was quite amazing.

She was so pleased with her work from beginning to end and I was quite pleased with seeing her vision come to life.  I am anxious to share some of the other projects being worked on by the students in this class as they finish.  There are quite a lot of interesting things being worked on in this Thursday class.

But for now, I'm quite happy to show you how one student explored Halloween, Matisse style.






Please note that the studio will be holding an all day workshop on Monday, November 10 from 9am-3pm for any interested student.  The cost is $60.00 for the day and space is limited.  Call or email the studio to reserve your child's space.

No comments:

Post a Comment