Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Self portraits repeat

Did I mention how excited I was to finally purchase mirrors for my studio?

So excited I figured every.single. class. needed to use them in the first week and so here are some self portraits created by the Thursday afternoon class with oil pastels.

Again, we talked about how their self portraits didn't need to look "exactly like them" but could just capture the personality of them.   

In my own artwork, I have been focusing on self portrait and I would just like to say that drawing yourself IS HARD!  I had forgotten what a challenge it can really be to look at yourself and then try to put the essence of your being on paper. 

And so during the process of my students doing self portraits, if I see any of them begin to get too bogged down in trying to create themselves, I will give them an out and tell them that it is OK for it to be "just a portrait of someone".   Usually what I find is that when the pressure is gone to "create me", they usually end up with a portrait of "me".

And for some in this class, this is what happened.  

I thought the girls all ended up with lovely work.

7 year old

7 year old

8 year old



No comments:

Post a Comment