Thursday, January 14, 2016

creating poetry accordion books

For the preteen class, I decided to have them create an accordion book based on a poem.

As an introduction I explained that art is never limited to just creating pictures, but includes musicians, writers, and so much more. I told them we would be collaborating with another artist, a poet, to create an artwork.

I chose the poem, "Wind on the Hill" by A.A. Milne. I thought it would inspire some great imagery and also thought it would surprise them that the poet was someone who they actually knew quite well since he wrote Winnie the Pooh.

I cut a piece of acrylic paper in half lengthwise, glued the pieces together to create one long piece, and folded it into equal parts.

I then cut two pieces of cardboard and covered each of them with acrylic paper also to make the front and back covers.

Once the students had completed all the pieces, we glued the front and back cover onto the folded paper and voila! an accordion book.

I put some twine between the cover and the inside artwork prior to gluing, so they could close the books up also.

The students used a wide variety of materials to create their work including acrylic paint, charcoal, soluble graphite, india ink, white gel markers, china markers, white pastel pencils, and fountain pens.

I think they made lovely books based off of this beautiful poem.

Wind on the Hill

BY A. A. MILNE
No one can tell me,
   Nobody knows,
Where the wind comes from,
   Where the wind goes.
It’s flying from somewhere
   As fast as it can,
I couldn’t keep up with it,
   Not if I ran.
But if I stopped holding
   The string of my kite,
It would blow with the wind
   For a day and a night.
And then when I found it,
   Wherever it blew,
I should know that the wind
   Had been going there too.
So then I could tell them
   Where the wind goes . . . 
But where the wind comes from
   Nobody knows.

front and back cover

inside illustration, 10 year old

After finishing this project, the above artist announced she did not enjoy working on "abstract landscape". She much more enjoys creating something a little more realistic. I told her that sometimes what we learn most about stepping out of our comfort zones as artist is more of a sense of who we are as artist and so this had still been a successful project for her. Ironically I received a note from her mother afterwards stating this was her very favorite work her daughter had created, which in the end is another wonderful lesson for the artist...beauty lies the the eye of the beholder! 

front and back cover

inside artwork, 10 year old

On the other hand, this artist loved working in such a loose style. I love all the white line work she put into her artwork too. Her work certainly captures the feeling of a windy, stormy day.

front and back cover

inside artwork, 10 year old

I love the grass/picket fence in the foreground of this work, the detail added with the white pen, and the sense of movement. I especially love the white and black covers!! Aren't they graphic and interesting?

Although I have not shown it here, the books are quite marvelous as they are gradually unfolded and you see the kite flying through each individual scene. I have no doubt these little books will become cherished keepsakes and were a great lesson in learning how to illustrate another artists' work.

I have a feeling I'll be revisiting the idea of this project again in the future.












No comments:

Post a Comment