Monday, October 17, 2016

8 year old birthday party dog paintings

Yesterday there was a birthday party for a very sweet girl turning eight years old.

She wanted to do an art project around her pet Cocker Spaniel, Callie. So her mother sent me some photographs of Callie to choose from and I printed off two of them for the partygoers to use for reference.

Each child created her own original sketch of the dog and then using carbon paper, traced it onto the acrylic paper.

birthday girl

Each artist began by painting in the background. Using only primary colors, I encouraged each girl to mix their colors directly on the paper for more interesting results. 

grade 3

I walked by immediately after the cheeks and nose were added to this picture. How cute are those cheeks?!!! And the addition of the hat? Love it.

During the course of painting there were lots of questions like, "Can I paint the dog a different color?"

What a great lead in for the opportunity to paint the dog in a color that reflects their personality. We spent a bit of time discussing what this meant while they painted the backgrounds. I think the girls got a kick out of yelling out colors that might represent silly, angry, calm, sad and of course, happy!

Although no one ventured outside of making Callie a brown dog instead of a blonde one.

grade 3

I am always amazed at how perfectly artwork reflects the personality of each artist. This little artist was very exuberant and outgoing and her work is too!  Look at everything going on in this picture. What a narrative. I couldn't resist asking her to tell me what was going on in her artwork and I was not disappointed in the story, there is a second dog jumping over Callie- who is wearing a lovely pink bow and what I can only guess are blue shoes or socks? No matter what, she is definitely dressed up for the occasion of having her portrait painted.

There were lots of questions about whether or not they could add accessories to their dog too. I always find it shocking when kids ask me permission to do things in their own artworks but I encouraged them to each follow their own instincts to please themselves when creating their dog picture.

Rapper Callie

By giving them the freedom to express themselves within the project of creating a painting of the birthday girl's pet, the results are unexpected and contain amazing moments of childhood imagination. 

Just look at Callie dressed up as a rapper! Right down to her baseball hat backwards and gold dog chain collar around her neck. Simply priceless.

grade 3

I love how this artist decided to represent the grass. What a great pattern she created! And the simple addition of the matching bow to the collar is adorable.

grade 3

I was quite smitten with the expression captured on this artwork. Doesn't Callie look pleased with herself? I hope the artist was pleased with herself after finishing this sweet picture.

grade 3

I dare you to resist those big puppy dog eyes the artist created in this painting. If this was my dog, it would be very fat as I would never be able to say no to "just one more treat" with eyes like those.

grade 3

The pink touch on the dog tag is brilliant. It was interesting to watch this young artist work throughout the hour and a half. Each and every brush stroke was thought through, as was every addition of color.  So much thought went into this artwork.

grade 3

This painting. 

The fact the artist mixed white into each color is wonderful. The party hat, which I might add were given out to each artist to wear at the beginning of the party, on top of the dog's head. And the expression she created on the face!! To me it looks like Callie is so not impressed with the having to wear a party hat to humor the human people.

This painting oozes personality.


As the artist started finishing, I gave them each a piece of charcoal to go back into the work and add black lines where they thought it was needed. Then we hung them up for everyone to admire while they ate cake and opened presents.


I loved how different each painting turned out even though they were all using the same reference material. 

What a darling group of girls to spend a couple of hours with while they celebrated their friend's eighth birthday. They giggled and talked nonstop, enjoying each others company completely.


Happy Birthday Miss G!!
Thank you for letting me be apart of your special day.















No comments:

Post a Comment