Wednesday, October 26, 2016

shopkins assemblage boxes

This past weekend there was a birthday party of an 7 year old in the studio. All the girls were grade 2 and all seemed to be enthralled with Shopkins.

In fact, that was the theme of the birthday party.

I strive to learn one thing new everyday and for this day, it was all about Shopkins. I had never heard of them before and so spent some time online figuring out what they were so I could create a project around them.

birthday girl

At first I thought I would have the girls create little oven baked figurines of their own design, however after seeing how small this toy actually is was concerned they would finish them way before the 1.5 class finished. Plus I thought it might be a bit of a challenge to paint in the details with one 4 year old in the mix. (which did turn out to be two little 4 year olds in the end)



As I was cleaning up the house, a time for some reason I seem to have creative breakthroughs, I remembered the Affirmation Boxes the elementary class created last year and thought it would be a great match for a Shopkin party.



Each girl started by sketching their own Shopkin creation. I suggested creating a character that might be associated with birthday parties and the girls all through out ideas of birthday foods in a quick brainstorming session.




Once they had their own Shopkin design, I asked them to paint an environment on the inside of the box I gave them.



As they finished the boxes, I gave each girl a piece of acrylic paper and asked them to draw their Shopkin character. When finished they traced over the lines with acrylic and again started painting.



When finished, I took a blowdryer to the parts of painting that hadn't quite dried. Thankfully they were all finishing at staggered times, so I didn't have a long line waiting.



Then I handed them some scissors and asked them to cut out their Shopkin character.



Finally I showed them how to draw a banner on a piece of cardstock and asked them to put the name of their character on it in Sharpie and again cut it out.

Now it was time to assemble the pieces. I gave them some adhesive little dots to tack their pieces into the boxes.



The girls were all excited with their finished results.

Then it was time for snacks and cupcakes and lots of giggles and chatting.

Thank you Miss S for letting me be apart of your special day.

Happy 8th Birthday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment