Wednesday, October 19, 2016

clay bug pins

This fall I am running a lunchtime art program for a local elementary school. Their PAC committee requested I focus on Species at High Risk. It have been very excited to create projects inspired by this theme.

Of course October is also the month of all things spooky and so it seemed a perfect match to have the first project focused on bugs that are on the endangered list or high risk category. I thought letting the kids create creepy crawly pins to wear during the Halloween season while also pointing out that even the lowliest of creatures are important to our eco system seemed like fun. And I'm guessing from the excitement in the room as I gave them their pins to take home yesterday, the kids felt the same way.



The ages range from Kindergarten to Grade 4, although the bulk of the children are Grade 1. We have 45 minutes to create and they finished these bugs in one class period.

Grade 1

I had brought some reference material of bugs who for one reason or another are now at high risk for extinction. While they ate their lunch, I shared the creatures with them and then when they finished eating they broke into groups based on what bug they wanted to create so they could all share the reference picture.

I had brought oven baked clay in primary colors, plus black and brown for the kids to use. I showed them how they could mix the primary clay colors to create other colors if they wanted.

grade 1

I also brought some wire for them to use if they wanted for legs, antennae, and whatever else their imagination dreamed up.

grade 4

It was a wonderful opportunity for them to discover some basic anatomy facts about insects.

grade 1

grade 1

The kids all finished at the 45 minute mark and I then took them home to bake. Afterwards I glued a jewelry pin onto the back and then drew a mason jar using brown card stock to pin them onto for presentation. I took these pictures before I left for class, but each child then wrote their names below their bugs before taking them home.

I wanted to make sure the parents knew what bug their child had focused on in order to open up more dialog at home....who knows? Maybe they will discover together more about why these creatures are species at high risk.

Grade 4

It was interesting to observe how each child interpreted the bug of their choosing and watching them work through and solve problems as they arose. It was great insight for me when moving forward introducing the next projects over the course of six weeks.

grade 1

grade 1

And I think we all have a better appreciation that endangered animals come in all shapes and sizes and each and every one of them is important to our world.










No comments:

Post a Comment