Tuesday, March 21, 2017

artwork inspired by children's book "Flotsam"

This past week I ran a spring break camp called, "Once Upon a Time" for the North Vancouver Community Arts Council. I ran a similar camp at the studio last summer and absolutely loved using children books for art project inspiration.

The children enjoyed it too and so I was thrilled to get the chance to run the camp again.

Albeit with a few changes to the projects.

One project I did not change was using the book, "Flotsam" by David Wiesner as inspiration for a clay and paint project. While researching books and authors for the original camp, I learned that he will create 3D characters for some of the imaginative illustrations in his books.

So after reading the book Flotsam with the campers, and by reading it I mean letting them decipher the illustrations to create their own stories as there are no words in the book, I had each of them create their own 3D character that they would later use to create their own narrative painting.

We used air dry clay and I even brought out some wire for those who wanted to add some more details to their characters.

There was a five year age range in this group, from 5 to 10 years old, which can be challenging but what I love about this project is that it is perfect regardless of age.

5 year old

This young artist created an octopus, more than likely inspired by all the underwater happenings in the book Flotsam. She created a "blob" and then after showing her how to create "snakes" for legs, added each to her octopus. As she was finishing, I gave her a toothpick and suggested she add some texture to her sculpture. When I came back by, she had created this magnificent work of art. I was so surprised to see how she had utilized the toothpick and thrilled she had found so much enjoyment out of using it.  When it came time to create her painting, she used a lot of the same process- creating a blob body and then adding snakes to create the octopus. As she was finishing, I showed her how to put some paint on her brush, push it down on the paper and twirl it to create circles. I believe this brought her as much pleasure as sticking a toothpick into her sculpture and the circles added a charming addition to her final painting.

10 year old

This is the above young artist oldest sister, all three of them were in the camp, and I found her little character absolutely charming. She added wire antennae and wired wings to her 3D sculpture and how sweet is her little underwater painting? I love the color combination she put together and the posture on her sculpture was quite brilliant.

8 year old

The last of the three sisters, look at the expression captured in this sculpture! And I love the use of color for painting her character. And what a story she created in her painting with this strange little bird creature. Once the acrylic paint was dry, each camper had the opportunity to go back into the work with a permanent black marker to add any final details. All the birds flying in the sky leaves one to wonder why this little bird needs to travel by boat.

5 year old

Such a simple little sculpture left me to wonder what this young artist would do with the painting. I should of never been worried because look at all the detail in this narrative painting! Can you find the little caterpillar? He is peeking out behind a piece of coral over by the birthday cake.  And look at the way the artist signed his name! Is that a walkie talkie that his name is being spoken out of? Honestly there is so much to discover in this painting.

7 year old

Unfortunately this little artist was sick the day we finished the clay figures, but hers was quite wonderful. Just the unicorn head and what was so utterly brilliant is that you could take the top piece off the bottom, as if it was opening and closing its' mouth to talk. And the painting, how sweet is the hopping unicorn? Is it part bunny? I just know it has quite a spring in its' step.

snail in magical garden, 7 year old

Is this not a wonderful palette? I wish I had a picture of the sculpture that went with it because it was stunning. But I did not have my phone and she was leaving for vacation a day early and so I am without a way to show you just how lovely the picture and sculpture were together.

9 year old


So much story in this painting but what is most wonderful is the surprise awaiting the viewer with the sculpture. It even caught me off guard when I began to photograph their finished artworks.


The artist created a pinch pot for her head and it is removable! This is not something I even thought to suggest. To be honest, I had never thought of it before and yet two artist in this camp made moveable parts in their clay figures. This was such a smart idea, she can now move the head around and animate it to her heart's desire. The artist has left me inspired on how to build upon this idea and I'm now mulling how to create a bobble head out of air dry clay for a project!!

8 year old


Just look at everything going on in this picture! Please pay close attention to not only the hero character in this artwork but also the inked in character floating above....

8 year old


Because it belongs to the character her best friend created who was in the camp with her! Is that not sweet? I love that she cares so much about her best friend she wanted to add her sea slug to the narrative story she was painting.

And let's just stop and look at the sea slug painting. Please notice the slime. It is rainbow colored! Be still my heart.

There is something about giving children the opportunity to create a character and story that is nothing short of magical. Their imaginations are so rich and when left with an open ended project that allows it to soar, as adults we are simply left to marvel at a childs' brilliance. 

As evident above inspired by the work of David Wiesner.

















No comments:

Post a Comment