Wednesday, March 29, 2017

wet felted geodes and watercolor geode paintings

You know a project is great when children finish and immediately ask if they can do it again.

Such was the case on the second day in the "Sculpture and Paper" spring break camp.

I was so excited to share this project in the camp as I had a hunch it would be a hit. Children have always enjoyed wet felting in the studio and my kids always loved opening up geodes growing up, so combining the two seemed like a win/win....which it was!

I started by bringing out wool roving in a variety of colors. Each child told me what color they would like to start with and I gave them a tuft. (at the end of adding roving, each child had a ball close in size to a grapefruit or softball)

This is the only time I stressed rolling the tuft into a ball shape tightly...or as tightly as they could. Then I told them to decide on three other colors to roll around their wool ball then finished with covering the entire thing in brown roving to resemble a rock.

Once each camper had completed this task, I brought out warm bowls of soapy water.

In truth the hotter the water the quicker the roving felts, but when working with children you need to keep in mind they will have their hands dunked in the water continuously and adjust the temperature of the water accordingly. Warm water along with a drop of dish soap is all that is needed to take a fuzzy ball of wool roving to a felted geode.


And oh my goodness, did the campers LOVE this part of the process. This was the only part I was concerned about when planning the project. Wet felting is not something that happens immediately and sometimes in a world full of instant gratification, things that take patience can cause interest to wane, but I worried for nothing. This part of the process held their attention beautifully and they were excited to see if what I said was true, their grapefruit size ball would reduce to half it's size when finished and that their soft, fuzzy ball of roving would become "hard" felted wool in the end.

I was quickly forgotten in the room as they excited talked and giggled amongst themselves. Needless to say by the end, never had hands or table been cleaner in the studio! And when the children said they were finished, I asked them to squeeze their geodes in the water another 10 times for good measure.

Then it was off to the sink to rinse them under the tap and get rid of the soap suds.

wet felted geodes

You have no idea how painful it was for them to let me take this photograph of the finished geodes. The campers could hardly wait to cut them open and reveal the beauty inside. But here are what their "rocks" looked like when finished.

If you are going to try this project and want to take a photograph such as this, I strongly suggest you have each child eagle eye their geode at all times or you will not know whose is whose when giving them back to open. Thankfully the kids in my camp were not taking their eyes off their prized possession.

Then came the real fun, cutting them open. Make sure you have very sharp scissors for this part. I brought down the kitchen shears along with a couple of pairs of sharp fabric scissors. Yes I know for some that would cause you to bring out the smelling salts, but a girls' gotta do what a girls' gotta do for a good cause.

And one look tells you it was worth it.


Oh my word, were the kids excited as the geodes revealed their beauty hidden inside!




This class was boy heavy and the younger ones truly looked up to the ten year old in the class. So much so they waited until after he made each and every color choice for roving and then asked for the exact same thing. I'm not sure how thrilled the ten year old was with this unrequited love, but I assured him that even if all the colors were the same, each geode would be unique and different when opened since one has no control on how the roving will move around during the felting process.

So happy I didn't have to eat my words during the reveal!

And the lone girl in the camp? She marched to her own drum.



Here it is easy to see how the children took what they learned from the first felting and applied it to the second, as the second one is much more felted in the end. I think a combination of understanding the felting process combined with knowing what the inside was going to look like, which resulted in a little more patience, contributed to a more felted geode the second go round. 


We had one geode in the first bunch where all the color congregated to one side. Do you see the purple and blue in the upper left corner? I'm not sure why this happened, maybe his original "ball" was not tight enough? Maybe it was the way he squeezed and rolled the ball when felting in the water? Either way, it made the geodes all that more authentic as the truth of the matter is sometimes when you open one, the inside can be more "ho hum" than you hoped for.

Although I would of let the kids create a second geode either way due to their excitement level, I would of tried to convince them to do one more so this particular child could have another go for something a little more exciting in the end....although in truth, he was just fine with this result.


When finished each camper crowned this "the best project ever" and asked repeatedly if we could do it again the next day. I'm not sure I could of asked for a better response.

I think with a bit of thread sewn through, these would make great necklaces. As a mom, I might of confiscated one of the halves if these came home and worn it!

And no need to have them wash their hands while they ate a snack either! Which gave me time to set up the next part of the project, watercolors.  The camp is called "Sculpture and Paper" for heaven's sake! A painting of their felted sculptures was a no brainer.

10 year old

Using liquid watercolors in primary colors only, I asked each child to create an interpretation of their favorite geode on paper. I brought out some salt and showed them a wet on wet technique.

6 year old

Simple, but fun for them to watch the colors move and blend into each other. I love the finished paintings. They look very "kandinsky" to me.

8 year old

Love this composition! The open geode in front with the closed one behind! 

10 year old

This young girl was in love with her watercolor. It might of been her favorite painting of the week that she created. She admired it throughout the rest of the week while it hung on display and several times mentioned how much she liked it.

So there you have it. Without doubt one of the most successful things I have done in studio. A project I'm giving two thumbs up too and five gold stars. 

A rating I have no doubt each and every camper would second.














No comments:

Post a Comment