Thursday, March 30, 2017

etchings of beloved stuff animals

A while back I did an etching project around Halloween inspired by Rembrandt's etchings that I had seen during a visit to Amsterdam.

They were creepy and eerie, perfect for Halloween, but I have been dying to bring the project out again with something a little more cheerful.

So in the "Landscape and Still Life" camp, I decided to have the campers create etchings of their beloved childhood stuffed animal. We all have a doll or stuffy that we look back on fondly and I thought it would be a lovely still life subject to always have a remembrance of the special companion in years to come.

I handed each camper a very thick piece of acetate. It is quite small so the actual etching process doesn't overwhelm a child. 


Then using a sharp point stylus, the kind used in scratch art, each child began etching in the dark areas of their subject.


When they felt like they had finished, we smeared some printing ink over the plate, wiped away the excess and had a look to see if they wanted to add any more lines. When they were completely happy, the campers began pulling prints. 

They all learned quickly that there is a fine art to just the right amount of water on the paper and pressure between the plate and paper. If I had a press, this step would be a little easier but I'm still on the lookout for a small second hand press at the moment.

Each child inked their plate, wiped away whatever amount of ink they wanted from the plate, and then placed it on the damp paper. I then had the campers turn the paper over and give the paper and plate a very good rub. For good measure they could take a clean brayer over the paper if they wanted. 

I have them turn the paper over to try to keep the print side clean.

printing plate, 8 year old

8 year old etching print

The plates were so pretty at the end, I actually mounted them too. I put spray glue on the inked side and simply adhered it to a piece of paper.

etching plate, 11 year old

etching print, 11 year old

A couple of the stuffed animals were very well loved and obviously very special to the child, which made it worthwhile to keep trying when pulling a good first print proved to be challenging.

etching plate, 11 year old

etching print, 11 year old

This particular teddy bear had such a beautiful history. It actually belonged to the campers' mother, then her grown sister, and now has been handed down to her. How lovely to now have a group of prints of this very special family keepsake.

The older two campers finished earlier than the younger one and so I brought out the gelatin plates for them to explore. Both girls really enjoyed printing with them.






I think this artist got a lovely series of prints of her stuffed animal.




As did the other camper, how cute is the sun? This bear is definitely the sunshine in this family's life.

I love that I had the opportunity to introduce an etching project with a subject matter other than skeletons and mummies. Next on the horizon is doing self portrait tronies, just like Rembrandt did all those years ago.












No comments:

Post a Comment