Friday, May 23, 2014

Deconstructing books

I have a slight problem.

I'm addicted to online art classes.

I find it extremely difficult to pass one up.

For some women it's shoes, for me?

Online art classes.

I am currently taking one, OK, five courses.

This is a huge problem for my husband when he sees our Paypal account.

For me?  Just fun.

And one of them that I have been enjoying is by Jeanne Oliver called, Studying Under the Masters.

In week two, Junelle Jacobsen did a focus on Antonio Gaudi.  I took the opportunity to apply his architectural style to a project I had been dying to try for quite awhile and seemed to lend itself perfect to Antonio Gaudi.

Deconstructed book sculptures.

Above is me working out the process inspired by Gaudi's La Sagrada Familia.


The above project has been sitting down in the studio half finished and waiting for me to do something else with it but has garnered the attention of my students regardless.

Each week I hear, "When are we going to do this?" 

So when the local library had their damaged book sale, I bought a ton of books for next to nothing.  And tonight, TONIGHT!, I was so excited to tell the kids when they came to class and asked, "When are we going to do those books?"to hold onto their hats because we were doing it tonight!

And guess what?

The two twelve year olds went, "Eh.  I want to do a multi-media work on Jazz" said one.  The other went, "Oh.  I want to do another Marilyn Monroe work.  A lady wants to buy it"

Not exactly the reaction I was expecting and quite frankly I was shocked.  Shocked they didn't want to do it and shocked the twelve year old is selling more original artwork than me!

But bless the heart of the dear eight year old in the class.

He was ALL IN!

I knew he would like it as he enjoys to build.  And when I went to explain the importance of symmetry and the definition of Symmetry, I was met with a "I know what symmetry means"

That child is smarter than me!

Deconstructed Book Sculpture, 8 year old

I love his sculpture,  that was inspired by my sculpture, that was inspired by Junelle Jacobsen's class, created by Jeanne Oliver's course,  that was inspired by Gaudi's church!

Phew.  It's the telephone game with art!

And just to show you how much you can vary the project, here is a work that was completed in a Spring Break camp by very precious six year old.  In this case, I let her choose from a bunch of picture books I salvaged.  She choose one that was full of line drawings, so even colored in the illustrations.

A very different look and equally charming.


Deconstructed Book Sculpture, 6 year old

I love this project. 

Giving books on their way to the recycling bin new life.

Math skills.

Problem solving.

And at most the need for a pair of scissors and a glue stick to create magic.

I know the twelve year olds are going to love it too.

Just as soon as they are through counting their bank from the sales of their current projects in progress.

Maybe they will lend me some to buy another online class.





No comments:

Post a Comment