Friday, May 16, 2014

Using materials in new ways

8 year old- dye on paper

5 year old- dye on paper


One of the challenges in running a studio is utilizing the most out of materials.  Unfortunately supplies are expensive and can often be cost prohibited if you are unable to think "outside the box" to use them in new and interesting ways outside their original intended purpose.



Case in point, silk painting.

I love the medium but if I only used my supplies for painting on silk, there is no way I could justify the cost and so I started using the dyes on paper and the results are always breathtaking.
I have now done this project in several different camps and in my own studio classes with children and much like silk painting, the dyes allow every age group to be very successful.  It holds a lot of the same principles as water color but with a lot more vibrancy and a bit more control.

10 year old- Warhol inspired dream shoe- dye on paper

And most importantly, the kids LOVE IT!!!!!  And it works with a variety of project ideas.

9 year old- dye on paper


After the student is happy with their sketch, they transfer it onto watercolor paper and go over their lines in sharpie pen.  I usually give them a scrap piece of watercolor paper to go over some of the techniques they can use with the dye.  They always love the salt and we go over at length how they can use that texture to their advantage.  We also go over how they can mix the colors together directly on the paper too.

9 year old- dye on paper

This student really utilized the salt in the background!

6 year old- dye on paper

And I love the use of water with the dye on this one!


9 year old- dye on paper

When we start, I think they are always surprised at how "stingy" I look with the color on the palettes.  A little dye goes a very long way.


7 year old- dye on paper


11 year old- dye on paper


6 year old- dye on paper


And even students who struggle to find equal footing with their peers can be very successful with this medium,  I absolutely love this close up of an Emperor Penguin!


4 year old- dye on paper


And even when things go off the rails, the medium is quite forgiving.  No doubt this student LOVED working with the dyes and the original drawing was lost in all the color.  In the end, I had him go back over his original lines with charcoal and I thought the artwork came out quite charming.  

But not going to lie, there was that moment of "oh no" when I looked over at him going to town with the colors with complete abandonment, but how do you tell a child stop when they are lost in the process and loving it?


11 year old- dye on paper


How beautiful is this sense of movement created by the student with the dye?  She was so happy with her piece at the end.

Although I bought the dyes for silk painting, I have found I use them far more frequently with paper.  Not their original intention but I like them even better than watercolor paint now!   And have been so pleased with not only the students results, but also the joy and excitement they experience during the process of discovering this exciting medium.






  


No comments:

Post a Comment