Thursday, December 25, 2014

Gifts from the heart, part one.

The month of December at Kudzu Studio resembled Santa's workshop.  Good grief, the students worked hard on different works for their loved ones!

One of the projects several of the students worked on was silk painting.

I found some great dyes through Jacquard that heat set with an iron.  Some of the students wanted to use a water based resist and others used a permanent black resist.  I made the frames from PVC pipe that I can adjust to the size of the silk project.

One student was so kind.  The cap was not on properly on the resist tube and exploded on her silk scarf.  She was quite easy going about it, more so than I was, and was fine when we shifted the silk to be applied on a canvas instead

14 year old

The other students all created silk scarves.

8 year old

I love this abstract work created by one little boy for his mother.  I think he chose a beautiful color palette.  I'm sure she was thrilled on Christmas morning when she opened it up!


10 year old

This scarf was created for the student's grandmother.  Evidently her grandmother loves purple. The student described her as a woman who wears all purple, including purple eyeshadow. So of course, the scarf needed to be purple too!


9 year old

Another purple piece, this time with cats!   Both the mom and daughter love cats and her mother's favorite color is also purple.  The student was so thrilled with this work,  she could hardly wait for Christmas morning to give it to her mother.  So great to see a child be more excited for what they are going to give than receive for Christmas.


11 year old

And finally one last work created for a child's grandmother.  She raises budgies.  This was not the students favorite piece she has created, but I know her grandmother is going to love it.  I told her to try to look at it through another's eye instead of her own and realize the extra significance the work would have for her grandmother, that the scarf is a thoughtful gift created with love by her granddaughter.  I know she will cherish it as intended by the artist.

I am so excited I can finally start posting all the different gifts created in the past month.  It's hard not to just load up the blog with three or four postings in one day to show it all off.  But for now, I think I'll just let you admire these beautiful gifts created on silk until tomorrow.

Merry Christmas everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment