Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Kandinsky Inspired Landscapes

This is a collection of works created by students over the past two years with one of my favorite projects inspired by Kandinsky's landscapes.

I provide a lot of reference for the kids to pick from and be inspired by.  I always tell them that they can combine references as they like and edit reference as they like.....by no means are they to copy the pictures but just use them to pay attention to details.

I have done this project in large groups, with a wide variety of age groups, and in the more intimate environment of my studio.

We start by turning the landscapes into interesting shapes, not detailed drawings.  I tell them to edit small details as they will be difficult to draw with the oil pastels.

Once they are happy with their compositions, I give them a blue and black oil pastel and they draw their picture onto acrylic paper.

Then they paint with acrylics.  I try to encourage them to paint with unusual colors to create a mood.

When finished, they have the opportunity to retrace their shapes with the blue and black oil pastels.

I love the results.








(Love the cloud reflection in this painting)

3 year old

3 year old- moss on rocks

5 year old- trees at sunset



No comments:

Post a Comment