Saturday, December 13, 2014

Line and Texture with Scratch Art

I was teaching a week long course called, "Experimenting with Art" and one of the projects I started with was Scratch Art.  It is a great way to introduce the many ways to use line to create interest in work.

I gave each child an orange.  I cut the orange in half and then took one half and cut it into quarters.  I then placed each child's cut orange on a paper towel and allowed them to arrange the orange any way they pleased.

Then they created a Scratch Art from real life drawing.

The oranges have lots of different textures to start with, the bumpy skin, the lines in the flesh, so I knew that if the younger students only focused on that aspect of the drawing they would have lots to focus on for their work.

As it turned out, the students all got lost in scratching away on their artwork and really enjoyed learning how to create shadows and lots of interesting line work and texture into their art.

7 year old


7 year old


7 year old


8 year old



11 year old


No comments:

Post a Comment