Monday, December 1, 2014

Reduction Prints

I did this project once before during a Self Portrait camp at North Vancouver Community Arts Council.  When they asked me to run a printmaking workshop for children this past Sunday, I decided to repeat this process because the students during the summer enjoyed it so much.

I brought a large handful of animal reference for the kids to use for their portraits and told them I'd like them to focus on the face only vs. the entire animal.

We spent a long time discussing composition within the confines of the styrofoam they would be using to imprint on and using line to create interesting textures for detail.  I worked side by side with a few of the students who were feeling overwhelmed with how to interpret the animal they choose into a drawing.   By helping them identify the shapes first and get them on the paper and then start paying attention to the placement of things like eyes and ears- basically simplifying the process into attainable steps- they were all quite excited with their drawings.

We started by first just outlining the animals onto the styrofoam and making three prints in the same color.

8 year old

When they had three prints, they washed off their plates and then cut around the outside line of their animals.  At this point, they drew all the textured details into the animal. 

When finished, I asked them to choose a new color a bit darker than the first and starting with their LEAST favorite print to add the newly inked plate on top.  They did their favorite pull LAST on the second inking.

9 year old

After washing their plates a second time, I asked them to decide on what part of the animal they would like to highlight and cut that out.  Now they needed to pick another ink color, darker than the last two, and print again starting with their least favorite and their favorite print last.

I think a lot of them were surprised that their favorite print changed during this process.  But by having them start with their least favorite, it takes a lot of pressure off of them about "making a mistake".

In the end, I think they were all quite happy with their artwork and yet again, this proved to be not only a fun project but a project where each child walked away with great results.

I'd hang each and every one in my house!

9 year old

11 year old

8 year old





1 comment: