Saturday, March 14, 2015

Molly Lamb Bobak inspired watercolors

Last day of camp can always be a bit of a challenge.

Whatever project I start, I have to be able to finish and I don't want to use anything that is so wet it is hard for the parents to transport home.

First thing in the morning is usually used to finish all the bits and pieces of the week and then I need a couple of hour or less projects to introduce.

Molly Lamb Bobak allowed for just the right project. I knew I had to present her to the students the minute I read that she was the first woman to be sent overseas to document the Canada's war efforts as an artist, particularly focusing on the Canadian Women's Army Corp.

After showing the students a variety of work throughout her life, I settled on some of the floral watercolors she had created, in particular, this one.

Molly Lamb Bobak, poppies, watercolor

I usually do not have students paint with me, but for this project I did since I wanted to show them a few techniques they could use while trying watercolor. I find that is easier for them to understand the processes if they are trying it themselves instead of just watching me. I explained that we would do one together and then I wanted them to try what they learned on another work on their own.

We started with scrumbling, which I told them they couldn't attempt unless they mumbled "scrumble, scrumble, scrumble" while doing it. Scrumbling is way more fun while mumbling, that is for sure.

Once finished with the scrumbling, we took paper towels and "lifted"some of the color off the paper. (this also helped get rid of some of the puddles on the papers of those who were a little zealous with the water) 

Then I showed them how to use their paintbrush as a tool to create petals and flowers. I made a point that as artist we were not going to draw symbolic flowers, but suggestion of flowers.

When finished I had some chunky, water soluble, graphite pencils and asked them to add continuous line to the work.

Even though we worked together, everyone's result was still different. When finished, each student had the opportunity to try what they learned again in another piece without my guidance. 

Below are all the results. Keep in mind the only watercolor we had available was liquid watercolor in red, yellow and blue, so any mixing was done by them.

9 year old, watercolor



7 year old

6 year old

6 year old

7 year old

7 year old

9 year old

8 year old

7 year old

9 year old

6 year old

6 year old

7 year old


I presented the same project in the afternoon camp too. We used gouache paint in place of the liquid watercolor.  I had also picked up some long, skinny, watercolor paper on clearance that I decided to use.

9 year old

9 year old

9 year old

10 year old


This watercolor was created by an afternoon student who I asked to try one more painting in order to really let go and loosen up. I think it is stunning.

9 year old


One final watercolor created with a watercolor pencil using blind contour drawing. I think it turned out lovely. 
9 year old

All in all, I think the students did a marvelous job with the watercolor and Molly Lamb Bobak was a great source of inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment