Friday, March 20, 2015

Slump Clay animals



I seem to always start the first morning of camps off with a clay project. The Art and Animal camp this week was no different. I always want to make sure I give ample time for the clay to air dry and also it seems that clay is the one medium that doesn't intimidate anyone. It's a nice way for me to get to know the students, their strengths, their personalities, and how open they are to suggestion and help with their artwork.

It's also just plain fun.

This week we rolled out the clay and then dropped it onto a styrofoam bowl to create the shape. From there, it was all about the kids imagination.  Once dry, they used acrylic paint and I sprayed a high gloss varnish.  Unfortunately two of these cute animals got out the studio door without me taking a picture. 

"George" 7 year old's pet dog

I posted a couple of weeks ago a chalk pastel drawing done of George. The above sculpture was created by the younger sibling. It is obvious there is much love for the new family member named George at this house!

"Spencer" 8 year old's pet dog

Furry Spider, 6 year old

Calico Cat, 8 year old

I'm completely smitten with this sting ray. And I love the mottled blue paint this artist used as it looks like I'm viewing this amazing creature under the water.

Sting Ray, 6 year old

No comments:

Post a Comment