Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Introducing Kudzu Studio's new mascot, Sybil

As I have mentioned in the past, whenever I see a discarded portrait work at church sales and thrift stores, I buy it.  I am gathering quite a collection. Every now and then, there will be a hidden story on the back of the work that adds a little something special to my find.

Last week I was at a church sale and ran across this portrait for $5.00.  The sale was not really open to the public yet and I was there because a friend who was involved with the church invited me to an early preview of the clothing, which is well known for having very expensive designer duds and church sale prices! (I scored a Lily Pulitzer skirt for $6.00, take that Target!) 

I wasn't suppose to be wandering around the rest of the sale, but made my way down to the "art room" all the same where I discovered the portrait.  The woman in charge was already complaining that people were in the sale who were not suppose to be there and so when she agreed to sell me the painting anyway, I picked up my find and ran before she changed her mind.



I didn't bother to look at the back and as we were walking out my friend said, "Oh Jeri, there's writing on the back. What does it say?"

Well, what it said took my breath away.



"Painted by mouth, J.Anderson, Pearson Hospital, Vancouver, B.C., 1969"

By mouth.

Here was an artist so driven to create that when their hands were for whatever reason rendered useless, found a way to paint with their mouth.

I was speechless.

And incredibly moved.

There was quite a bit of other writing on the back explaining who this piece was to be sent to by request of the previous owner, whom I assume must of died and willed it on to the next family member to covet. 

It mentions the name Sybil, who I am guessing is the person in the portrait, and so the name has stuck.

Sybil, Kudzu Studio's new mascot.

How it ever ended up in a church sale for $5.00 is beyond me, but it has found it's rightful place hanging honorably in the studio. 

She hangs there to remind every child having a moment of "I can't" or "It's too hard", to look up and remember where there is a will there is a way.

She hangs there to inspire me when I have my moments of "I can't" or "This is impossible" too.

Sybil, a true inspiration to the artist who lives within each and every one of us. 

A masterpiece found at a church sale for $5.00.  

I'm beyond honored to be the caretaker of something so special and be able to share it with the children who create at the studio.



1 comment: