Friday, May 29, 2015

Making Cupcakes

Today is my birthday.

And so I decided to kick it off a little early by celebrating with my teen class last night.

And what kind of celebration would it be without cupcakes?!


They are so small because I didn't decide to do this until about an hour and a half before the start of class and I made them from scratch.  I needed them to bake quick so I had time to throw them in the freezer to cool off in order to ice.

I gave the teens brayers and palette knives for painting. I told them to create paintings where one could feel like they could swipe their finger through the icing.

We also discussed how tint makes things look more appetizing too.

And off they went.  It was a bit of a learning curve while they learned to to manipulate the paint with a knife.



                                         
                                      

We discussed how contrast creates drama in a painting.  I even handed out some tonal finders for them to find at least 4 different tone values in the cupcake and check if they had at least four in their work.

They worked right up until when their parents arrived for pick up, so the paintings were wet leaving the studio and in the pictures. This is the last class of the school year, so we couldn't let them spend the week drying here.


14 year old

However this artist did leave her piece since she is coming for the summer teen classes that start in July. She's not completely satisfied yet with the work and wants to tweak it a bit more, but I LOVE the cupcake she has done. 


14 year old

13 year old

I'm not sure this is a favorite style for all of them, but I think they had fun experimenting with the project.


13 year old



It was a fun evening. The girls enjoyed submerging themselves in the process without getting hung up on the end product. We laughed. We enjoyed our last evening together before taking off on summer adventures. What better way to kick off my birthday? I have loved the year I have spent with these four girls. Enjoy your summer girls!



For those interested, there will be a once a week Preteen/Teen art class during the summer. It is limited to eight students and we are going to explore some really interesting things. Each night will include pizza too. 

July 7-28, 6-8pm, $125.00
August 4-25, 6-8pm $125.00

We will explore silk painting, image transfer, life drawing, pen and ink, printmaking among other things during these months. I'm pretty excited about some of the projects I am creating to share with them. To register, please contact me though KudzuStudio.com.






No comments:

Post a Comment