Saturday, July 18, 2015

Dye Paintings and Chalk Pastel Drawings

I have realized if I don't start combining some of the projects from the camps and workshops I'm running, I might be writing, "What I did this summer" post well into November!!

So here are the last two projects completed in the "I Love Vancouver" camp held through the North Vancouver Community Arts Council.

First, dye paintings.

For this project, I decided to have the kids focus on some of the Vancouver residents who live under the water.

(I might of told them under the sea, just so we could break out in an impromptu "Little Mermaid" sing-a-long)

And once they took their fingers out of their ears due to my inability to carry a tune, we brainstormed the different water animals found either in our bays or at our beautiful Aquarium in Stanley Park that could be interesting subject matter to draw.

There were some darling results and I have never met a child who doesn't like to use the dyes, so fun was had by all.

7 year old

9 year old

9 year old

6 year old

Note to self, never leave a six year old to their own devices too long with dye. The process is so interesting to watch when dye hits paper that it's just plain hard to not want to use every.single. color over and over until things begin to turn to mud. In this case, mud was good so that the salmon would once again stand out in all the multitude of colors being put on the page. 

7 year old

I love this waving seal. I love more that the child was able to look at a reference picture of hundreds of seals on a beach and zero in on this one particular seal who was balancing on one flipper and waving. 

11 year old

12 year old

9 year old

The two yellow fish were created by "besties" who all week wanted to create the exact same pictures. The artist above had a mild heart attack when the red dye didn't behave as planned. Things calmed down a bit when we talked about fan coral and how the viewer would assume it was an intentional choice to create it.

9 year old

7 year old

Then on the last day of camp, I wanted to make sure the kids all had a chance to use the chalk pastels. I brought out a lot of city landscape reference for them to be inspired by for their work. I gave them black pastel paper because I think it is much easier for them to be successful with the pastel when they can see all the black space they need to cover which always is missed when working on white paper. Plus it just looks darn cool too.

City Hall, 6 year old

City Hall, 9 year old

City Hall, 9 year old

Above is the artwork from two brothers and their best friend. They too like to mostly work on the same subject matter and I always find it interesting that although it is the same reference, the artwork looks different due to their unique personalities.

11 year old

12 year old

I immediately had to grab my phone and google Rothko's artwork for these two students to see as their works of a sunset over English Bay reminded me so much of his paintings.

9 year old, English Bay Inukshuk at Sunset

9 year old, English Bay Inukshuk at Sunset

7 year old, Dr. Sun-Yet Sen Garden

7 year old, Stanley Park

And with that my friend, the artwork from "I Love Vancouver" camp is finished. Great group of kids that I was sad to say goodbye too and hope to see again one day soon. I certainly hope they had as much fun as I did during the week.








No comments:

Post a Comment