Saturday, July 25, 2015

Surrealist Watercolor inspired by Exquisite Corpse books

Since the students in the Jungle Jive camp worked so hard on their Exquisite Corpse books, it seemed a shame to not use them to inspire a surrealist animal painting.

So I had them go through the books they made and create a surrealist animal they liked, then create a composition with that animal to be used in a pen and watercolor painting.

They had a lot of fun not only deciding what silly combination to put together from their book but also an environment.  I told them they were free to change up the book structure of the animal too.

Below are the amusing results. 

I included a link to the previous post about the creation of their Exquisite Corpse books if you want a better idea of how they came up with the below images.



6 year old
This is the child who wrote a love note to her parents on one of the pages. I love that she incorporated it into her final drawing inspired by her book.

9 year old, "Lumberjack Bear Frog"

All the kids had a great time coming up with stories for their characters, especially this nine year old and her friend. The log broke and with a smile on his/her face, he's falling from an insane height.

6 year old, "Snazird"

Talk about a child who threw her heart into every project! Her enthusiasm was catching and she LOVED the process of creating her above work.

6 year old, "Buttersnake Girl"

Not going to lie, the above work calls out to my love of all things quirky. For some reason I think of folk artist Howard Finster, who I absolutely love, every time I look at it.

9 year old, "Panchas"

This artist has taken several classes from me and she does have a penchant for drawing Cheetah's and Panda's. I'm quite happy she had the opportunity to combine the two together to create the above work.

7 year old, "Cuby Holle"

I loved the graphic nature of the above artist's book when she created it and was so happy to see her use the body of her favorite book animal to create her artwork. 

8 year old, "Amazon Pink Panphin"

I think this artist loved using the Pink Dolphin because her parents didn't really believe her when she told them they existed at first. Actually this piece is an inclusion of a couple of good moments for her, first the fact she got to tell her parents, "I told you so", and the second when she courageously used purple instead of black on her original Panda art. This artist came to camp always wanted to make sure her work was "good" and "right". The first day or two, she would always refer to me asking, "is this good?" and I would always respond, "Do you like it" and when she said yes, tell her then it's good. To see her blossom so quickly during the week and develop the confidence to take risk was exceptional and I made sure she knew it. The above work is a great culmination of her growth during the week.

7 year old, "Primate Mishmash"

I'm in love with the HUGE orangutan tummy on this conglomeration of primate species. He certainly listened when I talked about background, mid and foreground earlier in the week, which makes for this great composition in his work. 

9 year old, "Tightrope Walkin' Chetahrog"

Like the lumberjack bear frog, this artist got a case of the giggles as her concept grew to include a frog, cheetah, person combination that was tightroping. LOVE the airplane she included to show height in the work too.

I know I said this in the earlier post, but I think creating those Exquisite Corpse books is one of my all time favorite projects. Not only do the kids have a book of their own creation to enjoy at home, but I was also able to utilize it to show them by example how the Surrealist used this very game to create their artwork.

Artwork that they enjoyed creating and enjoyed sharing with each other.  How can one ever complain when a room is filled with the sounds of laughing children?


No comments:

Post a Comment