Monday, July 27, 2015

Mixed Media jungle animals

I really enjoy having students explore mixed media at the camps I teach and it was no different in the Jungle Jive camp for North Vancouver Community Arts Council.

These works are done on mixed media paper and include watercolor, white acrylic paint, paper cutting, oil and chalk pastel. I also offered up graphite and charcoal for anyone who wanted to add it into the mix.

This project was done in bits over several days.

First I had them put whatever leftover liquid watercolor they had from another project we just completed.

The next day, I had them cut out paper shapes to build an animal of their choice.

They placed these on top of the dried watercolor and dabbed white acrylic paint over the entire paper.

Then they pulled up the cut paper stencil they had made and viola! They had a negative image of their favorite animal.

Then the following day I put out oil and chalk pastel, charcoal and graphite for them to draw in the details of the animal of their choice.

7 year old

6 year old

7 year old


6 year old

9 year old

9 year old

6 year old

9 year old

8 year old

No comments:

Post a Comment