Wednesday, August 26, 2015

imaginary picasso inspired animals part 2

I was invited to do an art program for Trottin Trottinette summer camp in North Vancouver.

For me, it was the first time since working in my children's elementary school that I would be working with a large group of children.

Unlike when I worked in my children's school though, it would also be a wide age range of students, instead of just one classroom of students all in the same grade.

Together with the amp, we discussed a variety of projects. However the week before the program, we discovered the age range had changed and included a gap from 3 years to 10 years old.

To say I was a bit apprehensive on how to handle 33 children ranging in age from 3 to 10 years old would be an understatement.

Then I remembered the project I had just finished inspired by Picasso's cubist period.

http://doodlebugdabblings.blogspot.ca/2015/08/picasso-animals-inspired-by-carla.html

I knew it would work well with a wide variety of ages and require minimal supplies that I would have to travel to the camp site.

I thought given the circumstances, the day was a great success.  There were some adorable works created by all the different age groups. For the three year olds, I encouraged exploration with the watercolors and it held their attention quite well.

Although there are no ages on the pieces I am showing, I think you can get a sense at just how successful this project can be regardless of age.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 



The kids all used liquid watercolor in just the three primary colors. I love the variety of colors they can get from just this limited palette. I stress washing the brush between colors so they don't just end up with pots of brown and all age groups did a great job remember this one "rule".

If they finished early, I had cut watercolor paper in half and offered them the opportunity to do some automatic drawing with a permanent black marker and the leftover watercolor in their pots. Basically telling them to loop a continuous line across each other four or five times.

They then had the opportunity to find the imaginary animal hidden within the lines.  How cute are these?

 

 

 

 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment