Tuesday, August 18, 2015

magical garden gelatin monoprints

First off, I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed I am with myself at this moment.

I wanted to make sure each child had a chance to sign all their prints prior to me taking photos to record them and in doing so, I forgot to finish taking the photos!

The only prints I have record of are the prints where the children had already signed them.

This makes me so sad because there were so many amazing prints you will now never see!

I keep thinking they are there somewhere and go back and check again, but no, sadly for the first time ever I did not get record of all the artwork.

And so here is a brief summary of what the kids did with printmaking in the studio last week during the Magic and Myth camp.


7 year old

8 year old

Using gelatin plates, they each painted a garden scene.  Here are a couple of samples. We were using open acrylic paint and a retarder to slow down the drying time, but even so, some kids just were not quick enough and were unable to pull a print using this technique. 

If I had all the photos, you would of seen though that did not necessarily mean they didn't pull something interesting as there was a lovely abstract looking water lily print.

For those few who did not get something they were happy with using the acrylic, I took down the metal plates and water based printing inks for them to create a monoprint. Again I don't have photos of these, but you'll have to take my word when I say they turned out beautiful.

8 year old

8 year old

Then for fun, I cut a bunch of different types of leaves from my garden and had the kids create some magical beings from the garden. Children created fairies and butterflies galore! They loved pulling these prints and were quite excited by some of the results.

8 year old

10 year old

They each had the opportunity to sign their work and I loved all the titles.  There was even a Big Ben in the mix that was so amazing you could almost see Peter Pan and Tinkerbell flying around it. We had golden butterflies fluttering amongst the flowers too. 

10 year old

10 year old

10 year old

10 year old

10 year old

9 year old

9 year old

9 year old

9 year old

I'm sorry you can't see all the amazing work created by the children with this project. However I'm sure from this small snippet, you can see just how lovely it all would of been displayed in this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment