Monday, August 10, 2015

Jean-Michel Basquiat inspired mixed media

"I like kid's work more than work by real artist any day." Jean-Michel Basquiat

He had me at hello.

Jean-Michel Basquiat is not everyone's cup of tea but I can tell you that kids are in general quite a fan, just like he was of them. I'm sure it's the energy and the story one can find in the artwork that appeals to them. Not to mention the vibrant use of color and the childlike quality of the work.

Needless to say, this is an artist I will be using again in the future. The project was successful for each and every child and they all enjoyed creating their artwork.

Even the one child who might of preferred chocolate milk over a cup of Basquiat tea.

I figured the villain or nemesis of each child's imaginary world was the perfect subject matter for a style filled with imagery and story. I created a mixed media project that the children built upon over a three day period in the "Fanciful Frolics" camp at North Vancouver Community Arts Council. The students spent anywhere from a half hour to an hour each day working on their art.

The children started with nothing more than black acrylic paint. I asked them to think about the shape of their image only and put it on paper. I asked them to hold their paintbrush up near the "tippytop" and to paint with wide strokes not worrying about "perfect" form.

6 year old- sea bug

Some of the things the kids had noticed when viewing Basquiat's work was the handprints.  So I told them to feel free to add their handprints in the black paint.  

Oh how they LOVED painting their hands.

And their fingertips.

Lots and lots of fingertip work was done when they were only working with the black.

7 year old- woodland witch

At the beginning of the next day I brought out red, yellow,blue and white acrylic paint.  We again took a few minutes to look at Basquiat's work and discussed how he used color in his pieces. Then the kids went back to their artwork and began adding color.

Once again, I asked them to hold their paintbrushes up at the "tippytop" in order to create loose, broad paint strokes. 

I should mention that they were working on very large paper too!

7 year old- a dapper looking octopus villain 
(this artist would of rather chocolate milk)

And finally on the last day I brought out oil pastels and charcoal for them to add any final details.


8 year old, bat fairy

7 year old- outer space villain

I could not be more thrilled with the results of this project. I think each child did an amazing job of capturing the spirt of Basquiat's work while being true to their own vision at the same time. And over time, how precious will these works become that capture their handprints when they were young?

6 year old- fairy villain

6 year old- underwater villain  (I LOVE his spelling!)

6 year old- evil flying fish, a goldfish nemesis

I have no doubt that Basquiat would love each and every one of these pieces as much as I do too. I was quite fascinated to observe the different details of his work that the kids were inspired to place in their own pieces.  "Hand Some Over" in the hands up above? Brilliant! 

6 year old- Underwater world villain

8 year old- another evil octopus 
(interestingly these girls never sat near each other all week)

Every time I look at these pieces, I find something new that I had not seen before. I'm so proud of what all of the children created.

2 comments: