Thursday, April 21, 2016

animal monoprints

I feel like I have run the gelatin printmaking project to death, but it is such an enjoyable one for the kids that I can't help it.

Do you know last week the Wednesday elementary class had about 10 minutes left before pick up and the kids asked me if they could pull some gelatin prints? I literally just put out the plates and they took it from there. It was so rewarding to see young children feeling accomplished and confident to take something I had introduced prior and be able to do it all on their own without any need of me.

Not to mention they like the medium so much that when it's free choice this is what they would pick!

Which is probably why time and time again I come back to this project, as the young class in the "Creatures Big and Small" camp exemplify this project lets everyone be successful regardless of age.

Since I have explained in detail how to do this project before in this post, which has a link in it to another post where I talk about this project (told you I've run this to death), I will just present the good stuff.

The kids works of art.

This is the work of the four year old.  The four year old!


I had her pick something that was pretty simple shape but this Orca! I'm just so impressed with her. She had enough ink on the plate to pull three nice prints and so I decided to mount them all together in sequence.

10 year old

I am quite smitten with this bear. I love the line texture in it.  Below is the ghost print. I mounted each child's ghost print on a card for them. For some, the ghost print was their favorite pull of all.


I so love the color choices made in this eagle.


And again where the kids had so much ink that they were able to pull two prints, I mounted both of them. Sometimes I find it hard to pick a favorite to be truthful.

6 year old


One of the five year old's became completely obsessed with frogs toward the end of the week. Here is is printed version of one.


The other five year old created this seal who is looking at the viewer right under the surface of the water. Isn't it wonderful?

5 year old


He also created this deer, equally as lovely.


The kids became quite proficient with creating prints and all of them created more than one. The element of surprise as you pull the paper off the plate along with feeling confident with this form of printmaking makes it extremely popular with children. They have so much fun, they don't want to stop!


Which means I spend a lot of time mounting them all once they are dry! Not that I mind since things are usually moving so fast during the project, this is when I really get the opportunity to admire their creations.

7 year old

Seriously, this eagle. It is just simply amazing.


And an extremely popular subject too. Like a Lay's potato chip, you can't do just one!


On the last day of class, each child wrote a thank you note to their parents on the cards I made from the ghost prints. I thought it was a nice opportunity to point out to them how lucky they were to have parents who fostered their creative spirits along with giving them the gift of art camp. 

I'd like to say you won't see any more gelatin prints for awhile, but I can't.

I know there are some who do not like to make multiple postings on the same project, but how could I not share all the amazing results each time I run this project?! 

I mean look at the art? So suffice to say, you will more than likely see this project again on here and so I guess the take away is, this is such a wonderful printmaking lesson for kids. If you haven't already guessed by now, I encourage you to give it a try.

I have no doubt, like me, you'll discover you can't do it just once.














No comments:

Post a Comment